The best person to oversee your care will depend on the type of arthritis you have and how severe your symptoms are. If they are relatively mild, your GP can prescribe medication or recommend you to a physiotherapist. If you need further treatment, your GP can refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon or rheumatologist at the hospital.